In five simple steps:
- List an apartment that appears to be damn near perfect. (2BR, 18th btw Guerrero & Duboce, 3rd floor, wall fixtures, big kitchen, utility room, shared back yard, $2000)
- Have an open house at 1pm on saturday
- Ask everyone at the open house who wants to apply to stay in front of the apartment until 2pm so you can interview us on the spot
- At 2pm, after “interviewing” 3 couples, look at my application and inform me that you won’t consider an application from a couple unless you can meet us both face-to-face at the open house.
- Shrug your shoulders at the idea that the partner of someone moving cross-country might still be 3,000 miles away dealing with the moving logistics.
It is a measure of how well the rest of this day had gone (and it had gone very very well indeed) that I only found myself pleasurably considering the idea of spitting on this person’s shoes for a fleeting second.
It it actually normal in this town to have a list of conditions for rental in your head that you don’t bother to put into the advertisement? Am I the only person who thinks that this is a huge waste of everyone’s time, and that it’s maybe a good idea not to waste the time of people who are trying to hand you $24,000 a year?